Sunday, July 5, 2009

Olympic training

I've completed my second week of swimming lessons. It's not the water that's been the problem. I like swimming pools and baths, and I don't mind shoving my face under water or blowing bubbles (the first task we did in swim lessons). But the instructor has taken some time for me to become friendly with.

Mr. John is a cool guy. Don't get me wrong. But I'm supposed to trust my life in his hands after meeting him three minutes ago? Well, I've accepted the fact that when I go to swimming lessons, Mr. John is going to be there. It's a given. And after two weeks, I've grown to like the guy -- just don't let him know that.

Mommy is doing a great job helping me out. We blow bubbles, kick our feet, grab the water and then grab the wall and hold on. Then we swim across the pool and ride around in our floats -- I always get the yellow hippo.

The last exercise that we do is the best. Mr. John makes me swim to Mommy and gives me a boost along the way. I always go under water just before Mommy swoops in to grab me. I love it -- especially since we get suckers after the lesson is over.

I've met some friends during swimming lessons, too. The first week I met Mattie and her mommy. She's really little, only 8 months old. But I like her. She wasn't there this past week, so I wonder if she dropped out. Not me. I've got two more weeks of lessons and then on to something else!

Hudson W. Pate





No comments: