Friday, September 12, 2008

Pain and parties

Let's talk rollercoasters because Friday was one dip down to the lowest of lows and one big climb back up to the top.

Friday was doctor day and mommy and papa sprung it on me. No forewarning. It was my nine-month checkup so that meant no shots. At least I thought so. Weight was good (20.5 pounds). Length was good (can't remember exact digits). Head was right on target. Only problem was Miss Linda, the nurse, thought I was a girl ... until she took off my diaper! :) Then ... THEN came the talks of drawing blood. And for what?

I knew something was up when mommy took me into this room with two different scrub-wearing women and they told mommy to hold me tight. Huh? I was not happy, and I let mommy know. And papa. And the two women. And the rest of the people down the hall. And the people in the waiting room. They finally got the blood they needed and I got my clothes back on. Still not happy. And on top of that, I had to wear this big bulky Band-Aid.

But things got much better.

I went to daycare for the rest of the day until mommy and papa picked me up and we went to Ms. Leila's house to celebrate Amy's birthday. What a great time.

Everybody was swimming, but I just got my feet wet -- didn't want to hog the pool. I had a great time sitting in the grass with Mr. Mike and when James and Christy made faces and sounded like Elmo to me. Amy fed me some bread. Marlene rocked me back and forth. And Amy's friends went on and on about how cute I was. What can I say? I'm a hit with the ladies.

The bad part was everybody kept asking about my ugly Band-Aid -- but it did prove how tough I was. The cool part about it all was I got to stay up a little late. I can get the hang of this.

So although the day started with some difficulties, it ended with some smiles. And that I can live with.

Hudson W. Pate

No comments: